Friday, April 23, 2010

Unorthodox Indicators of Improvement

Here's two indicators you won't find on CNBC:

1. The number of IFR (instrument flight rules) flight plans was up over 3% through the end of last year over 2008. This means more people are flying. Since the number of airline flights doesn't change that much, this increase is largely attributable to general aviation, ie. business and private individuals. Private planes being as expensive as they are, it appears that people are more confident if they can spend money on this activity.

2. I recently got an email from my broker hawking their low low interest rates and suggesting that I buy stock on margin, collect the dividends and pocket the difference. Hey - isn't that how the Great Depression started?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.