Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Looking a bit negative for Wednesday

Sunday night I was wrong in calling the market lower for Monday, but I kind of redeemed myself by looking for higher today.  We got that in a big way with a 110 point pop in the Dow.  Today's action, coupled with three consecutive previous up days, makes the theory of a down week look a lot less likely.  And the 200 MA intercept I've been predicting for Friday - well I think we can fugeddabout it.

The Dow is now completely out of the June 1st descending RTC.  The RTC worked perfectly here.  Friday was the setup, Monday we cleared the line and that was the trigger.  Today was the payoff.  In fact today's gains now give us a bullish trigger on the longer term May 2nd descending RTC.  We also handily cleared the 12075-12,100 resistance zone today - also bullish.

That said, I'm not so sure about tomorrow.  The VIX did in fact go lower today, but it put in a classic hammer in the process and that's a reversal candle.  It also found support right at its 200 day MA which could help keep it from continuing lower.  VIX no lower, stocks no higher.  And all three futures are lower, though not particularly convincingly so.

So I don't know.  The whole setup is looking a lot like what we saw back on May 24th through the 31st, almost candle for candle, and I sure got burned jumping over those candles.  So now I need the Dow to put in a green candle entirely outside this May 2nd RTC before declaring the downtrend over.  I sure don't want to get fooled by that one again.

And then tomorrow is a Fed day again, so there's no telling how that will affect the charts (though I do not expect any real earth shattering statements from them tomorrow).  So bottom line: my bias for Wednesday is slightly negative, but I'm not really confident about it.  It will be a key day technically to determine if we can break our month and a half long down trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.