Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Another up day possible Tuesday

Oops.  What can I say?  I thought for sure we were going lower today.  In retrospect, I let the recent wave of negativity, along with some bad futures numbers late last night overcome my views of the technical indicators which have been screaming "oversold" for some time now.  I also failed to give enough weight to the all-important VIX which hit its upper Bollinger band.  That in itself is always a bullish sign for stocks.

And that was the problem, because after seeing oversold indicators for so long, but still going lower, eventually you stop believing in the indicators, like the boy who cried wolf.  But in the end the indicators came though and we went up today, an impressive 72 Dow points, not down as I had thought last night.

Now this presents us with an interesting problem.  With three consecutive up sessions, I have to wonder if the Dow is going to encounter the 200 day MA this Friday after all.  Today's close at 12,076 parked exactly along a two week long resistance line.  Tomorrow's action will be key.  If we can break up above this level, then I'm more encouraged for the end of the week.  Today's action, a long green candle, was bullish enough.  We broke over the daily pivot around 10 AM and it was up up and away from there.

Similarly, ES broke above its daily pivot yesterday and hasn't come back since.  Tomorrow's pivot is 1267.25.  We're comfortably above that at 1274.75 right now at 1:25 AM EDT.  All that's left is to see if we can finally put in a higher high, something that hasn't really happened since the beginning of May.  That would be quite bullish.

In the meantime, we have exited the Dow's June 1st descending RTC, also a bullish sign, but we remain inside the longer May 2nd descending RTC, so that trend remains down.  However, it will only take two days to exit that one if we continue along the lines of the last few days.  And if that happens, that would really be bullish, given the week historical nature of this week in June.

Finally, with the VIX taking a big tumble today from its upper Bollinger band (as I thought it would) and all three futures up by non-trivial levels I have to go with my long hat for tomorrow.  I could be wrong.  God knows I was today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.