Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dow Forecast for 5/11/10

Well this is a tough one. The euro has turned around and is headed south again and the Asian market is lower on concerns over the "Greek TARP" (which I will call the GARP). Also all three futures are down right now, though not by all that much. The ES is off 1.5 points from the close.

So I took the daily Dow chart and went back ten years looking for cases where we had a big down day that formed a hammer that took us down below the lower Bollinger band and was followed by a big up day. I found ten instances of this. In 9 of the 10 next days, the market was up by a small amount. (In the other case, the market formed a small doji, closing virtually unchanged from its open).

So unless the Greece fire flares up again tomorrow, I'm simply going to call for a small range day tomorrow. Technically, it looks like the close should be up, but with the VIX still almost at 30, I just don't have the hubris to make that call.

I'm actually looking for an opportunity to get into SDS to insure the gains I made today, but I don't quite see it yet on the daily chart. Hopefully the picture will become more clear after tomorrow plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.