Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gains likely Tuesday

Last night I said we might see some higher action today, but I was concerned about the futures being lower.  I also noted that any gains today hinged on the ES pivot and the Dow pivot.  As it turns out, we never got near either one and the results were predictable with the Dow losing 95 points.

So with the Dow in yo-yo mode, alternating between up and down for the last five sessions, which way tomorrow (Tuesday)?

Let's take a look at the Dow daily chart, but tonight it's not mine. Here is the chart from Colin Twiggs' Trading Diary weekly email newsletter (click the chart for a larger version). The interesting thing about this chart is his "Twiggs Money Flow" oscillator, which is his own version of money flow.

While I use money flow as one of the indicators on my charts, I find that Mr. Twiggs' oscillator is much more informative. And tonight it bounced off the 0% level. While it is still early to call tomorrow higher on that basis alone, this version of MF seems to be announcing at least the possibility.

You can learn more about this at http://www.incrediblecharts.com.  This site is well worth a look and Twiggs' newsletter is great - I highly recommend it.  Many thanks to Mr. Twiggs for kindly allowing me to reprint this chart here.

Another bullish sign is that despite today's losses, the Dow has now exited the July 7th descending regression trend channel. In addition, J-Trader's Buy/Sell model gave another buy signal today and is now 100% long.

Meanwhile, all three market futures (ES, NQ, and YM) are up at 1:20 AM by about a third of a percent and have actually been trending higher since 1 o'clock this afternoon. In addition, ES at 1304.25 is now above its new daily pivot of 1302.17. And both the ES daily RSI and momentum have now bottomed from oversold levels and hooked upwards. Those are all bullish signs.

Finally we come to the VIX, which today put in something between en evening star and a gravestone doji, both of which are bearish reversal patterns. And this candle just missed touching the VIX's upper Bollinger band.  Lower VIX, higher stocks.

So all in all, I'm not seeing much in the way of warning signs for tomorrow and I am seeing enough positive indications to have me putting on my long hat. I don't know if this will start a new trend, but at least things are looking up for Tuesday.

Playing the VIX

I talk a lot about the VIX here. Well I recently discovered that you can play the VIX just like a stock using TVIX, VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Short Term ETN and its inverse, XIV VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short Term ETN.

TVIX ("Trade the VIX") tracks the movement of the VIX and XIV ("VIX" spelled backwards, get it?) tracks the inverse of the VIX. If you believe the VIX is going up, you can buy TVIX. If you think it's going lower, buy XIV. Today I picked up some XIV at the end of the day at 16.10.  We'll see if this trade pans out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.