Friday, August 26, 2011

Mr. Market likes Ben, Friday to close higher

Hey Mikey, he likes it!

Mikey Market
That was about my reaction to the market's reaction to Ben Bernanke's eagerly awaited speech from Jackson Hole this morning. Never before have I seen the can so artfully and expertly kicked down the road, one month until the next Fed meeting, to be precise. In any case, the market definitely seemed to like it for some unfathomable reason.  My best guess is that since Bernanke didn't say anything awful, it was presumed to be good.

So much for my theory last night that Mr. Market was going to hate it because "he hates everything". Bzzzt - wrong.  In any event, you can't argue with the Dow up 135 points at 1 PM EDT. And since this rally took us above today's daily pivot at 11,221, it looks like we should end the day (and the week) on a positive note after all.

The Swing Trend

An alert reader took me to task over my putting up the "who knows" swing trend icon yesterday and I've got to admit he has a valid point.  So this seemed like a good time to review how I decide what the trend is.

First off, "swing trend" isn't precisely defined.  I think of a swing trade as something longer than a day trade but shorter than an investment - usually on the order of a few days to a few weeks.  Nonetheless I try to be analytical about it.  The "swing trend", as I define it, is based on the regression trend channel fitted to the daily Dow chart from the most recent high or low.

Dow daily
So for example, there was a rising RTC from 8/10 to 8/16.  I put up the green arrow after two days, on the theory that any move shorter than that can't really be considered a "trend".  Once the candles leave the RTC, the "X" trend-end icon goes up.  Then usually a new trend begins but sometimes I just get confused, and that's when the question-mark curly track icon goes up.

So for example. here's the most recent dozen daily Dow candles.  There's the 8/10 RTC I mentioned (the low in the center of the chart), the one we're in now, and the end of a descending weekly one providing something of a cross-current.  After last night, even though we were still inside the current RTC, it looked to me like the trend wasn't developing the way it should, so I took the liberty of changing the arrow.  In retrospect, I should probably stick to the objective system and will do so from now on.

Now, there's one more icon I use, the "channeling" zig-zag, and I may bring that one up if Monday's action remains inside the range of the last three days.  But for now, we're going back to the up-arrow, because, as you can see, we're still inside the rising RTC.

The Hoot

The same alert reader pointed out that having the "Bottom Line" up on top was kind of odd, and suggested I rename it to something more catchy, like "The Hoot".  Well, the Night Owl has to agree and gives that idea four hoots upThanks Daniel and a tip of the Hatlo hat.  Starting next week, my actionable market call or the next day will still appear right up front but will be called "The Hoot".

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love it already, what a hoot. :)

    For those of us w a Websters Dictionary always close to hand, the formal definition of the sound of a 'hoot' implies an alert, a warning... it's not a casual sound, like a cat purr or a bird trill. It's a verbal heads-up, among owls and those who heed them.

    These are potentially profitable but treacherous markets, and your good logical clear navigational guidance is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself. And I do appreciate the compliment :-) Thanks!

    And remember, as Tony Curtis said in "Operation Petticoat", "In confusion there is profit".

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Due to some people who just won't honor my request not to post spam on my blog, I have had to re-enable comment moderation. Comments may take up to 24 hour to appear, depending on when they're made. Sorry about that.